So what is Faux Leather? Faux leather is made from a fabric base, which is treated with wax, dye, or polyurethane to produce its colour and texture. It is a man-made material and produces great products at exceptionally low cost without sacrificing the look and feel of real leather.
Faux leather is a fabric intended to substituted for leather in fields such as clothing accessories (i.e. handbags, purses, belts, shoes etc) where a leather-like finish is required but the where the use of real leather is cost-prohibitive, unsuitable, or unusable for ethical reasons.
How does Faux Leather compare to Real Leather?
Faux leather has a number of advantages over real leather which include;
- Faux leather is much cheaper to produce than real leather, bringing it into the affordable range of most people.
- Faux leather is easily cleaned with just warm water and a cloth, or in many cases just a dry cloth and a gently brush down. And as it doesn’t absorb moisture it won’t crack or distort. Even stubborn stains are more easily removed than genuine leather goods which can be left with tell-tale water stains after cleaning.
- Over the years Faux leather has been greatly improved so it now offers a wide variety of colours, patterns, grains and textures that product visually pleasing designs with a very convincing leather quality.
- Faux leather is durable and long lasting. It stands up well to scratches and scrapes that would damage genuine leather. Unlike leather it is not as susceptible to general wear and tear. It is generally stain resistant and less likely to fade in the light.
- As faux leather is man-made it will provide a uniform appearance without visible flaws as all the pieces are produced under the same conditions and manufacturing techniques. Plus Unlike real leather faux leather is easier to cut and sew and offers greater freedom.
- Faux leather is extremely flexible as virtually anything can be printed on the fabric which offers the buyer an enormous variety of textures, colours and patterns at very affordable prices. In fact it can be dyed in a myriad of colours. This gives faux leather an incredible flexibility and a versatility loved by designers.
- Faux leather is an animal–friendly approach to fashion preferred by many eco-friendly designers.
All of the handbags at Love My Handbag are made from quality faux leather which allows us to provide you with stunning designs at amazing prices. Take a look at our fantastic range of shoulder handbags, cross body bags and tote bags.